Saturday 16 April 2016

#Beetlemania - With Gumtree and Reestore LTD

First of all, i do not have a clue whats gone on with this blog post so will sort the white break ground when l can figure it out!

So a few weeks ago l told you all about and email l had received from Gumtree inviting me to spend the afternoon with one of my upcycle idols - Max McMurdo. Gumtree had challenged him and his team to completely recycle and reuse as much as possible from an unrepairable beetle car. Quite the challenge after seeing the pictures of the car at the start. 


So today was the day - I was apprehensive on what to expect and what would be expected of me. I set out (earlier than l should of because there was ALOT of waiting around for me) but never the less. To be fair it was a pleasant journey and quite easy to get to. 


Reestore LTD is located in the middle of an old air field famous for Glenn Miller movies (thank you Mr Cab Man for enlightening me on the history of Thudleigh) and it was bizarre speaking to Max to ask him where l needed to go. I walked in and got to meet the team and see what they were working on and some of their ideas were so creative it blew my mind! there were bits of car everywhere, tools, half drunken tea but all for the same goal - The Butterfly Tree.


We met with Jane who is the founder of the Butterfly Tree charity to hear her story and why she set up the charity 10 years ago - The Butterfly charity work in Zambia where they feel a lot of work can be done. it is a mainly rural country and this is where they also focus their attentions. Jane told us about what they have already achieved in the past and how the money that we raise from this Upcycling challenge will massively help.


Here's the link to their site if you want to have a read - http://www.thebutterflytree.org.uk


We got put with two lovely ladies Talie and Lynne who I really clicked with them and it was as if we had known each other for years! Talie was sorting some chairs and upholstering them with the headlining from inside the beetle and Lynne was painting a chest of drawers that they are attaching the front window too with some mirror to make a vanity!


The trip has left me invigorated, energised and inspired with how l could also try and raise a little bit of money myself towards this great charity - Even on the train journeys home l was on pinterest for ideas how to fundraise. So watch this space! 


Keep your eyes pealed on Gumtree's Upcycling Hub and defiantly keep your eye out for my chair! 







1 comment:

  1. Great meeting you yesterday! Feel free to comment on my #beetlemania blog post https://goo.gl/wK1Ppu with a link to your blog post x

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system